A study by a research organization has estimated that over 33 billion records will be stolen by cybercriminals in 2023 alone. So it’s very important to consider effective cyber security testing to protect all sensitive data, personally identifiable information, health information, and financial information. Cyber threats can come from any level, so it becomes a must for an organization to get aware of some common cyber threats like malware, inside threats, Phishing and Social Engineering, ransomware attacks, and other attacks targeted to steal intellectual property or personal data.
Cyber security is the practice of securing critical systems, servers, electronic systems, networks, mobile devices, and data from digital attacks. Cyber security measures are designed to scale back the danger of cyberattacks against networked systems and applications, whether those threats come from inside or outside of an organization. It aimed to ensure a shield against the unauthorized exploitation of systems and networks.
Types of Cybersecurity?
- Network Security: It is a set of technologies that protects the usability and integrity of a company’s infrastructure by preventing entry or penetration within a network from a variety of potential threats. Basically, a network security framework is composed of tools that protect the network itself and the applications that run over it.
Network security acts as a wall between your network and malicious activity that can attack your network system. Being an organization, it’s important to protect your network so you can constantly deliver services to meet the demands of your customers and can maintain your reputation as a business. it involves addressing all the weak points that can affect your operating systems and network architecture, servers and hosts, firewalls, wireless access points, etc.
- Cloud Security: Cloud security is basically the overall mechanism involving a whole bundle of technology, protocols, and best practices that protect and secure the cloud computing environments, its applications running in the cloud, and information and data held in the cloud.
It mainly focuses on the vulnerabilities that can arise from internet services and from shared environments. Cloud security protects the infrastructure and application security from cloud-related components.
- IoT (Internet of Things) Security: IoT security refers to the methods of protection used to secure internet-connected or network-based devices. IoT devices include everything that connects to the Internet without the involvement of human beings. IoT security involves securing smart devices and their networks connected to the IoT.
- Application Security: It’s the process of making apps more secure during the development phase by finding, fixing, and enhancing the security of apps. It includes tools and methods to protect the apps from vulnerabilities once they are deployed and executed. It’s becoming more important as hackers increasingly target applications with their attacks.
Application security involves addressing the vulnerabilities/ threats possibilities resulting from insecure development processes in designing, coding, and publishing software or an application.
- Cyber security Infrastructure: Organizations should implement appropriate technical and organizational measures so that security risks can be tackled. Organizations that depend upon critical infrastructure should understand the liabilities and ensure to get it is protected against all attacks. Utility systems are always on the list of attackers so as to attack your business. Therefore it becomes important to evaluate and plan a contingency plan according to the threat perceptions.